Today is a sad day for a lot of people. It’s the day after the terrible and shocking tragedy of the Boston Bombings. Feeling safely tucked in my home here in Australia, I am still deeply touched and very hurt by the horrible news. It’s even hard for me to even comprehend just how anyone could be so totally insane and selfish to have the thought of wanting to do such a horrific act in the first place!
The aftermath of such a horrific disaster can be heart breaking and numbing, and you are probably even wondering what is this world coming to! It’s coming close to almost every day you hear of a shooting or a stabbing somewhere. The world seems to be filled with so much hatred and it’s sad, it really is.
People and events like this should not have to make us feel like we are living in fear of living our lives, and we all should feel free to go anywhere we like without any fear of harm but these days, it seems so much safer to lock yourself in your cosy home…even then you hear of drive by shootings into innocent people’s homes…it’s just so wrong and this world is really becoming a scary place.
So how do you move on after such a horrible disaster? I have put together a list of a few things you can do to help put your mind at ease and feel even a little brighter….
- Stay in touch with loved ones and friends – They are probably feeling the pain just like you, and it’s good to have a shoulder to lean on, in times like these.
- Play your favourite music! – I love music, as a suffer of depression myself, I can’t go a day of being at home by myself without listening to my favourite music. It lifts your mood and really takes away that loneliness.
- Turn off the telly!! – I say this, because all you are most likely to hear are more negative news stories that will only take you back to your feelings of yesterday, and make you feel like crap!
- Take your pet for a walk (if you have one) – if you don’t just take yourself! – Walking is great exercise, and makes you feel great too!
- Watch a funny movie – We all love a good old laugh! Release those happy endorphins, and laugh ’till your belly hurts, – it’s the best feeling ever!!
Know that it is ok to feel what you feel, let yourself have a good cry if you need to, it’s totally OK! Also know that you’re not alone, so reach out to your friends and family, give them a friendly phone call to see how they’re doing, it will brighten their day to hear your voice!
Life’s too short to spend it worrying…go out and live life…give your problems to God and let him deal with them!
I hope this list of things helps….sending you my love and hugs xxx